Twelve Days until Christmas Countdown: Day 10
Christmas; the season of family, happiness, good TV and eating LOTS of food. This is the time of year when any diet becomes… what diet!? The average Brit eats an extra 3000 calories on Christmas day and can gain up to 4lbs during the festive season, 34% of whom are still desperately struggling to shed those pounds all the way through until Easter*.
From Christmas dinner, to work parties, to family get-togethers, food is unfortunately the centrepiece of all celebrations. But it doesn’t have to be like that; the change in routine can provide a perfect time to get fit, not fat this Christmas. The Slimming Clinic can help you achieve your weight loss goals quickly and effectively. Read The Slimming Clinic’s daily three top tips on cutting out calories, keeping fit and cooking healthy meals for the twelve day countdown to Christmas…
1. Diet: If you are at a party and can’t/don’t want to completely avoid alcohol – a Cosmopolitan is a great cocktail option. With a lower calorie content than other drinks plus a high number of anti-oxidants from the cranberry and lime juice, the Cosmopolitan is a great guilt-free beverage.
2. Fitness: Be the life and soul on Christmas day and get everyone to join in with some active games like charades, Twister or even organise a Wii-Fit competition! This will beat the usual TV marathon and keep everyone active rather than crashing in front of the television.
3. Healthy Recipe: Low-fat sponge cake
- olive oil cooking spray, for greasing
- 4 large free-range egg whites
- pinch salt
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 75g/2½oz golden caster sugar
- 2 Braeburn apples, peeled, cored and grated
- 100g/3½oz self-raising flour, sifted
- 40g/1½oz cocoa powder, sifted
For finishing the cake
- 150g/5½oz raspberries
- 75g/2½oz icing sugar, sifted, plus extra for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 170C/330F/Gas 3.
2. Grease a 20cm/8in non-stick cake tin with a little olive oil cooking spray. Using an electric hand whisk, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff peaks form when the whisk is removed from the bowl, then set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the whole eggs, vanilla extract and caster sugar until pale, doubled in volume and the sugar has dissolved.
4. Fold in the apple, flour and cocoa powder with a metal spoon and then fold a third of the egg white mixture into the cocoa mixture. Once combined, fold this into the remaining egg white mixture.
5. Spoon the mixture gently into the cake tin and bake for 30 minutes, or until risen (when cooked the sponge should bounce back when pressed lightly). Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool.
6. Once cooled, slice the cake in half horizontally to create two layers. Mash two-thirds of the raspberries and one tablespoon of icing sugar together roughly in a bowl and spread this mixture over the top of one of the pieces of cake. Top with the other piece.
7. Mix together the remaining icing sugar and enough water to bring it together to form a thin icing of drizzling consistency. Drizzle the icing over the cake, leave for 2-3 minutes to harden slightly and then decorate with the remaining raspberries.
To read more on this recipe click here.
The Slimming Clinic operate 27 clinics nationwide, specializing in medical weight loss and cosmetic treatments. They are the UK’s largest chain of specialist medical weight loss clinics. They employ over 150 staff across all clinics and have their Head Office located in Bournemouth. Their portfolio of related brands include Mmm (My Meal Mentor) diet meal packs.
To book a free consultation at one of our clinics, please click https://theslimmingclinic.com/contact-us/book-appointment/
* Statistics found on 01/12/2014 from source: http://www.womanandhome.com/galleries/diet-and-health/34798/1/0/how-to-keep-the-pounds-off-over-christmas#k0tyrW3QIKIk55AC.99