Twelve Days until Christmas Countdown: Day 1
Christmas; the season of family, happiness, good TV and eating LOTS of food. This is the time of year when any diet becomes… what diet!? The average Brit eats an extra 3000 calories on Christmas day and can gain up to 4lbs during the festive season, 34% of whom are still desperately struggling to shed those pounds all the way through until Easter*.
From Christmas dinner, to work parties, to family get-togethers, food is unfortunately the centrepiece of all celebrations. But it doesn’t have to be like that; the change in routine can provide a perfect time to get fit, not fat this Christmas. The Slimming Clinic can help you achieve your weight loss goals quickly and effectively. Read The Slimming Clinic’s daily three top tips on cutting out calories, keeping fit and cooking healthy meals for the twelve day countdown to Christmas…
1. Diet: To all mince pie lovers, reduce the calorie content of your favourite festive food, by simply removing the pastry topping; you can then munch on two for the calorie cost of one! Pastry is pretty fattening so cutting it out where you can will help trim down your overall daily consumption. Or if you’re a culinary queen and you make your own mince pies, opt for filo pastry instead. One puff pastry sheet has 620 calories, whereas two sheets of filo pastry are 80 calories, a sure easy winner!
2. Fitness: Go Christmas shopping! Walking is a great way to burn calories – especially if you’re buying so many presents that you could fill Santa’s whole sleigh. Park further away from the shopping centre than you usually would, just to ensure your arms get the best bingo wing shopping workout that they deserve to look fab in your new Christmas outfits. The best part about it – it’s fun and festive and doesn’t even feel like exercise.
3. Healthy Recipe: Cranberry Chicken Salad (190 calories & 5g fat per portion) =
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 200g mixed leaves
- ½ cucumber, deseeded and sliced
- 25g dried cranberries
- 85g/3oz cranberry sauce
- juice 1 lime
1. Slice each chicken breast in half horizontally to give 4 thin breasts, then rub with half the oil and season. Heat a non-stick frying pan and fry the chicken for 3 mins on each side until cooked through. Set aside on a plate.
2. Heat the remaining oil in the pan and fry the onions for 5 mins. Slice the chicken, collecting any juices, and layer up with the onions, leaves, cucumber and dried cranberries. Mix the cranberry sauce, lime juice, 2 tbsp water and any chicken resting juices, and drizzle over the salad.
To read more on this recipe click here.
The Slimming Clinic operate 27 clinics nationwide, specializing in medical weight loss and cosmetic treatments. They are the UK’s largest chain of specialist medical weight loss clinics. They employ over 150 staff across all clinics and have their Head Office located in Bournemouth. Their portfolio of related brands include Mmm (My Meal Mentor) diet meal packs.
To book a free consultation at one of our clinics, please click https://theslimmingclinic.com/contact-us/book-appointment/.
* Statistics found on 01/12/2014 from source: http://www.womanandhome.com/galleries/diet-and-health/34798/1/0/how-to-keep-the-pounds-off-over-christmas#k0tyrW3QIKIk55AC.99