Mother’s Day is a super important day to show all mums out there who work so hard how much they mean to us and how special they are. Here at The Slimming Clinic we prefer showing our love through heart felt gestures rather than expensive and flashy presents (although we can’t complain about these either), but what better way to show your love than a scrumptious breakfast in bed (some may need daddy’s help…) or a delicious sophisticated brunch. We have found the following recipe on the BBC Good Food website which ticks all of the boxes; an easy, healthy (with lots of high-quality protein from the salmon and egg and the unlimited benefits of avocados) but very special recipe for our very special Mum. Also, now on the BBC website, you can even find out how much each serving costs so at only £2.51 per serving – it’s a great option for a Mother’s day treat. The perfect recipe? Egg-in-the-hole smoked salmon & avocado toasties.
Ingredients (For 1 serving)
- Knob of butter
- 2 slices of white bread
- ½ ripe avocado
- ½ lemon, plus a wedge to serve,
- Handful of watercress
- 1 large egg
- Few slices of smoked salmon
- Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat. Butter both sides of each slice of bread, then cut a large heart (or circle) out of the centre of one slice using a knife or biscuit cutter. Place the slices of bread, including the cut-out piece, into the frying pan and cook for 2 mins until golden. While the bread is cooking, slice the avocado and squeeze over the lemon juice. Toss the watercress in a little lemon juice, too.
- Flip the bread over, then crack the egg into the cut-out hole. After 1-2 mins, the whole slice of bread and cut-out piece should be golden brown on both sides. Transfer to a plate (eat the cut-out as a chef’s perk, if you like!). Cover the pan with a lid, or some foil, and lower the heat. Continue cooking for a further 1-2 mins until the egg is done to your liking.
- Top the toasted slice of bread with the avocado, smoked salmon and watercress, and season with a twist of pepper. Put the egg-in-the-hole slice on top and serve with an extra wedge of lemon, if you like.
If your mum has more of a sweet tooth, click here for another of our favourite recipes that incorporates avocados. Remember to share your photos with us by hashtagging #The Slimming ClinicRecipePic on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter.
To book your FREE slimming consultation with one of our doctors, https://theslimmingclinic.com/contact-us/book-appointment/to request a call back.