Why not try The Slimming Clinic Clinic’s favourite healthy hot cross bun recipe this Easter?
These are not the fluffy hot cross buns made with refined sugar and white flour that circulate the supermarkets. These are full of fibre with chewy oats with a cinnamon and vanilla flavour throughout.
You will need:
- 320 g whole meal spelt flour
- 50 g rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 sachet dried yeast
- 250 ml milk (your choice)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 100 g butter
- 1 egg
- 200 g raisins or golden sultanas
- 50 g dried cherries or currants
- Mix the flour, oats, cinnamon, yeast and a pinch of salt in a mixing bowl.
- Warm the milk, vanilla, honey and butter until just slightly warm and butter has melted.
- Remove from the heat whisk in the egg.
- Pour the warmed milk into the flour mix.
- Mix the dough for about 8 minutes until it is smooth and elastic.
- Add fruits and mix again until thoroughly mixed.
- Place into a lightly buttered bowl and cover with a clean tea towel.
- Rest the dough in a warm place for 1 hour or until it doubles in size.
- Place the dough onto your work surface.
- Shape them into buns and place onto a prepared baking trat, lined with baking paper. Leave about 1cm to allow for expansion.
- Cover the hot cross buns lightly and rest in a warm place for another 45 minutes until doubled in size.
- Brush over the rolls with a beaten egg mixed with a little milk which will form a lovely glaze. (at this stage you can add cross dough – see below….or wait and create your crosses with dark chocolate.)
- Preheat your oven to 200 C.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden.
- Wait for them to cool then if you like pipe a cross made from either white or dark chocolate on top.
How to make hot cross piping dough:
Combine 50 g spelt flour with 70 – 80 ml cold water. Mix into a paste and pipe crosses over the buns before baking.
Find out more here.
To start our weight loss programme and get advice and fantastic recipes with our diet guide, call 0800 917 9334 FREE to book you free consultation.