Twelve Days until Christmas Countdown: Day 2
Christmas; the season of family, happiness, good TV and eating LOTS of food. This is the time of year when any diet becomes… what diet!? The average Brit eats an extra 3000 calories on Christmas day and can gain up to 4lbs during the festive season, 34% of whom are still desperately struggling to shed those pounds all the way through until Easter*.
From Christmas dinner, to work parties, to family get-togethers, food is unfortunately the centrepiece of all celebrations. But it doesn’t have to be like that; the change in routine can provide a perfect time to get fit, not fat this Christmas. The Slimming Clinic can help you achieve your weight loss goals quickly and effectively. Read The Slimming Clinic’s daily three top tips on cutting out calories, keeping fit and cooking healthy meals for the twelve day countdown to Christmas…
1. Diet: Before pouring your Christmas tipple, first add 5 cubes of ice. This way the drink won’t be as strong, one glass will seem larger and ice cold water will aid hydration.
2. Fitness: Get your skates on and hit the ice. Ice skating for just 10 minutes can burn 84 calories, plus you’ll be using muscles that you usually wouldn’t think about. So treat the kids to a festive family afternoon on the rink and they won’t be the only ones to gain from it!
3. Healthy Recipe: Curried lentil, parsnip & apple soup (204 calories & 5g fat per portion) =
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 3 tbsp medium curry paste
- 2 medium onions, roughly chopped
- 500g parsnips (around 5 medium parsnips), peeled and cut into chunks
- 140g dried red lentils
- 2 Bramley apples (about 400g), peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- 1½ l vegetable or chicken stock, made with 1 stock cube
- natural yogurt, to serve (optional)
- chopped coriander, to serve (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Fry the curry paste and onions together over a medium heat for 3 mins, stirring. Add the parsnips, lentils and apple pieces. Pour over the stock and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat slightly and cook for 30 mins, stirring occasionally, until the parsnips are very soft and the lentils mushy.
2. Remove from the heat and blitz with a stick blender until smooth. (Or leave to cool for a few minutes, then blend in a food processor.) Adjust the seasoning to taste. Heat through gently, then ladle into deep bowls. Serve with natural yogurt and garnish with fresh coriander, if you like.
To read more on this recipe click here.
The Slimming Clinic operate 27 clinics nationwide, specializing in medical weight loss and cosmetic treatments. They are the UK’s largest chain of specialist medical weight loss clinics.
To book a free consultation at one of our clinics, please click https://theslimmingclinic.com/contact-us/book-appointment/
* Statistics found on 01/12/2014 from source: http://www.womanandhome.com/galleries/diet-and-health/34798/1/0/how-to-keep-the-pounds-off-over-christmas#k0tyrW3QIKIk55AC.99