Nourish yourself with these lighter meal options for when the sun is shining and there is no need for heavy, warming foods to be healthy over the Summer holidays.
Breakfast – Brunch Parfait
- 1/3 cup apricot preserves
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 cups low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup low-fat granola without raisins (such as Kellogg’s)
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- Place apricot preserves in a medium microwave-safe bowl, and microwave at high for 10 to 15 seconds or until preserves melt. Add strawberries, and toss gently to coat.
- Spoon 1/4 cup yogurt into each of 4 parfait glasses; top each serving with 1/3 cup strawberry mixture.
- Repeat the layers with the remaining yogurt and strawberry mixture.
- Top each serving with 2 tablespoons granola and 1 1/2 teaspoons almonds. Serve immediately.
Lunch – Berry Delicious Salad
Why save the sweetness for dessert?
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola or blue cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped and toasted walnuts or pecans
- Bottled vinaigrette
Toss together first 4 ingredients; drizzle with desired amount of vinaigrette, tossing gently to coat.
Dinner – Summer courgette risotto
This one-pot recipe makes the most of the season’s fresh produce.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion and 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 350g carnaroli or other risotto rice
- 1 tsp chopped rosemary
- 1½ l hot vegetable stock
- 3 courgettes, finely diced
- 140g peas, fresh or frozen
- large handful basil, lightly torn
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Cook the onion and garlic for 5 mins until the onion has softened. Add the tomatoes and cook for 3-4 mins until softened and pulpy, then add the rice and rosemary.
- Pour in half the stock and leave to cook for 10 mins or until the liquid has evaporated, stirring from time to time. Add the rest of the stock, then continue to cook for a further 5 mins.
- Stir in the courgettes and peas, then cook for another 5 mins or so, stirring until the rice is tender, but the mixture is still a bit saucy. Can be frozen at this stage for up to 1 month. Season with plenty of black pepper, then add the basil and stir until wilted. Serve immediately.
Check out some of these fresh, family friendly activities to do this Summer to keep you and your family active:
Chalk on concrete –
Outside your house or at the local park, bring some chalk and draw some activities for your children to follow, whether it be the traditional hopscotch or a game of hangman, this activity is carefree and can help develop imaginative role play.
Nature trail at the park –
Broaden your horizons away from the playground and take the family to the local woodland park. Going on a nature trail will help your children discover more of their surroundings- take some paper to do some bark rubbings and collect pine cones to decorate back at home.
Kite flying –
A slight summer breeze is the perfect weather to teach your children how to fly a kite – buy a cheap kite from any tourist/beach shop and you and your child will have fun for hours!
The Slimming Clinic can help you achieve your weight loss goals safely and effectively.
The Slimming Clinic operate 27 clinics nationwide, specializing in medical weight loss and cosmetic treatments. They are the UK’s largest chain of specialist medical weight loss clinics.
To book a free consultation at one of our clinics, please click https://theslimmingclinic.com/contact-us/book-appointment/
For more information about losing weight with The Slimming Clinic, please click here.