When you think about self-care, what pops into your head? An afternoon off from the kids? Time spent in the sun? Reading for a few hours? Meditation?
Whatever your ideas are, the truth is, in our busy lives, we don’t often have time for hours spent indulging ourselves with the things we would love to be doing, meaning that our self-care and well-being can take a bit of a backseat.
At The Slimming Clinic, we think it is really important to take time out for yourself as often as possible. Self-care can actually help to support your weight loss journey by reducing stress and anxiety, boosting energy levels, increasing immunity and improving your mood, resilience and well-being. It can also help to establish more of a routine, encouraging you to stick to your weight loss goals whilst having time to reflect.
When it comes to self-care, there isn’t a one-size-fits-all approach. Here are some of our favourite self-care ideas for stress, anxiety and to help your wider weight loss journey. Whether you have five, 30 or 60 minutes to yourself, give some of them a try today.
If you’ve only got five minutes:
- List five things you’re grateful for today
- Breathe in and out deeply
- Wash your face and clean off the stress of the day
- Drink a glass of water
- Listen to your favourite song (maybe even dance around!)
- Stretch and walk around
- Compliment yourself
- Send a kind message to someone
If you’ve got 30 minutes:
- Take a walk (it doesn’t have to be strenuous!)
- Keep a detailed thought journal
- Sketch something
- Cuddle your pet
- Do a face mask
- Give yourself a manicure
- Have a bath
- Do an online workout video
If you find yourself with an hour to spare:
- Call that friend you’ve been meaning to catch up with
- Plan out your meals for the week and make a shopping list
- Read some chapters of a book
- Declutter your living or working space
- Create a vision and goals board
- Listen to a podcast
- Write out positive notes to your future self and put them in a jar to open when you need a mood boost
- Go for a coffee with friends
We hope that these self-care ideas will give you some inspiration about how to look after the most important person in your life – you!
Self-care doesn’t require hours of free time, just a few moments each day will help keep you feeling motivated to carry on with your weight loss journey.
For more information about how self-care can aid your weight loss journey, get in touch with your local clinic. Our friendly, expert doctors also offer a free initial consultation to provide you with all you need to know about how to kick-start your weight loss goals. Stay up to date with our blog for more weight loss tips!