When you think about self-care, what pops into your head? An afternoon off from the kids? Time spent in the sun? Reading for a few hours? Meditation?
Whatever your ideas are, the truth is, in our busy lives, we don’t often have time for hours spent indulging ourselves with the things we would love to be doing, meaning that our self-care and well-being can take a bit of a backseat.
At The Slimming Clinic, we think it is really important to take time out for yourself as often as possible, especially as self-care can benefit you by reducing stress and anxiety, boost energy levels, increase immunity and improve your mood, resilience and well-being.
When it comes to self-care, there isn’t a one-size-fits-all approach, so to make things easier, we thought we would give you some ideas that you can try, whether you have five, 30 or 60 minutes to yourself.
If you’ve only got five minutes:
- List five things you’re grateful for today
- Breathe in and out deeply
- Wash your face and clean off the stress of the day
- Drink a glass of water
- Listen to your favourite song (maybe even dance around!)
- Stretch and walk around
- Compliment yourself
- Send a kind message to someone
If you’ve got 30 minutes:
- Take a walk (it doesn’t have to be strenuous!)
- Do a more detailed thought journal
- Sketch something
- Cuddle your pet
- Do a face mask
- Give yourself a manicure
- Have a bath
- Do an online workout video
If you find yourself with an hour to spare:
- Call that friend you’ve been meaning to catch up with
- Plan out your meals for the week and make a shopping list
- Read some chapters of a book
- Declutter your living or working space
- Create a vision and goals board
- Listen to a podcast
- Write out positive notes to your future self and put them in a jar to open when you need a mood boost
- Go for a coffee with friends
We hope that these ideas will give you some inspiration about how to look after the most important person in your life – you!
Self-care doesn’t require hours of free time, just a few moments each day will help keep you boosted and feeling motivated.
What is your favourite way to look after yourself? Do you want more tips from our in-clinic experts on how you can improve your self-care?
Come into clinic and speak to our Doctor at your next appointment.