Getting out and keeping active in the cold weather can prove to be slightly more challenging over the Christmas holidays. Luckily, we have some great ideas for keeping everyone busy and helping to keep you active. Have a go at some of these fun winter activities to aid your weight loss journey – whilst having festive fun with the whole family!
Go ice skating
Get down to your local rink and give it a go! It’s an all over workout and requires a lot of core stability!
Hit the slopes
You don’t have to spend a fortune on a cabin in Val D’Isere to take part in this weight loss exercise. There are lots of indoor ski centres around the UK that mean you can burn calories and have fun skiing, snowboarding or ringo-ing inside!
Play in the snow
OK, we know we might be dreaming of a white Christmas with this one and we don’t want to encourage arguments, but snowball fights can be fun! Looking for something a little less energetic? Try building a snowman – still fun even as an adult!
Walk around a Christmas market
Not technically an exercise, but it is a good way to up your activity levels. Get present hunting and carrying enough presents could count as weights! It’s also the perfect excuse to get out, enjoy the fresh air and a nice walk.
A fun winter exercise for the whole family! Pick up a cheap sledge from your local DIY shop and take it to your nearest hill. It doesn’t even need to be snowy; ice will do it. Plus, the walk up the hill to the top is great cardio.
Hand-deliver your local Christmas cards
Instead of spending money on stamps or risking delays in the post, why not walk your Christmas cards round to your local recipients? Get your step count up and save money!
Visit some Christmas lights
Know a local park that has illuminations? Or maybe a neighbourhood near you have a brilliant light display on their houses? Get out and about and explore the beautiful festive lights.
Our top winter weight loss tips for keeping active over winter
With all the opportunities to socialise over the colder months and into the festive period, thinking about your fitness routine can take a backseat. But, it’s the perfect time to get out and combat the over-indulgences. If you’re looking to get some activity and serious fitness in over the Christmas holidays, we have plenty of weight loss tips to help you achieve your goals.
- Plan in the times you know you can fit in a workout or activity around your busy schedule. Even if it’s just for 30 minutes to get out in the fresh wintery air.
- Take a friend with you. Training with someone else and having someone support your activity and exercise is a great way to stay motivated. Why not set each other little challenges or competitions against each other as extra incentive?
- Go to classes. Surround yourself with people who have the same mindset as you. Chances are, the classes will be a lot quieter than usual and you’ll get more 1-to-1 time with the instructor – use it as a chance to get a mini personal trainer session!
- Find a local Park Run – With over 692 park locations there is bound to be a Park Run near you. Each course is 5km and is for all ages and abilities. Why not check out your local event and go along. Be encouraged by everyone else who has gone along to have a jog around the park!
- Book a personal trainer session. Treat yourself to a gift and have a great workout drawn up by a professional. They are bound to motivate you and it gives you exercises to take away into your own workouts for the future.
- Make the holidays a time for family activities. Cold, sunny, wintery days are some of the best to wrap up and get out in. Plan activities for all the family, even if it’s just in the garden and get out and have some fun!
For further weight loss tips and advice or to kickstart your journey, come along to a free initial weight loss consultation with one of our GMC-registered doctors. Get in touch with your local clinic today!